Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Running Speed

  1. #11
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Running Speed

    I think Diets brings up some really good points. If speed is the focus of improvement, the workouts need to be specifically geared towards speed. Plyometrics is another great asset to include in a workout. I love jumpropes, plyo, and the core stuff. Flexibility is an absolute must. I don't feel comfortable with 13-year olds doing squats. I just think there are too many iffy things to make it worthwhile. That's my preference, though. I would add, however, that longer endurance runs, hikes, and swims have an important place in any training program. No matter what our training focus is, it is important to crawl out of our comfortable little box to get slapped in the face with adversity. Strenous endurance activities force the athlete to focus on and strengthen their mental/moral resolve. Like Yogi said, "Half the game is 95% mental." Just my two cents. I like to periodically "shock" the kids (and me too, on my workouts)because it ends up make the regular routine seem easier. If it seems easier, you tend to work harder, etc., etc. And finally, just remember that there is a difference between getting faster and being fast.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Running Speed

    I find the cops chasing you make you a lot faster! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

    Swimming is something I have always thought of as a great conditioning tool for just about anything. Generally easy on the joints, and keeps some resistance against you.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Diets17's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Running Speed

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 82abn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would add, however, that longer endurance runs, hikes, and swims have an important place in any training program. No matter what our training focus is, it is important to crawl out of our comfortable little box to get slapped in the face with adversity. </div></div>

    Yes exactly, and I'm not saying don't train for endurance. Though when you are doing speed workouts your getting endurance benefits. You should do at least 2 to 3 speed workouts a week and at least one endurance workout a week especially if your primary focus is speed. You do not want to inhibit your results. Make sure to have at least 2 days of rest. Speed training is as hard on the body as lifting weights is. Its pretty close to the same effect on the body. Though you cannot do speed workouts everyday, your body will have a hard time recovering if you do. When your young however, you do recover much faster. When you start to get old , you have to work smarter, not harder. Though I always say work smart, even if your young the more knowledge you have the better you will be able prepare and train. I always think, if I knew then what I know now if would certainly make things easier.

    I read an article a long time ago about sport specific workouts, it said that basically for football why would you ever run more than over 120 to 150 yards all out? You should focus and short bursts of speed and quickness more than anything. Too much endurance training can actually inhibit your speed. Look at sprinters, look at their bodies then look at long distance runners. Huge difference.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Running Speed

    Great stuff!! The only other thing I would mention is diet and rest.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member imported_brettc's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2007
    Posts
    267
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Running Speed

    quick is better than fast and lateral movement makes a good rb a great one

    this is of course comming from a linemen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •